- RDM* medical devices
- Founded in: 2008
- Staff: 14
- Focus: Single-use devices, Electromechanical medical devices, Software for medicine, telemedicine and e-health
- Profile: AFreeze is a medical device company with a cryo-catheter to treat atrial fibrillation (AF), a USD 2.5 bn market. Catheters are introduced in a minimally invasive way directly into the heart of the patient and there induce lesions to prevent AF. Conventional ablation catheters require highly trained specialists and are cumbersome. The CoolLoop® cryoablation catheter uses extreme cold to induce long lesions and thus provides a unique lesion pattern. The handling of the device is very simple.
- R&D: AFreeze has developed a complete cryoablation system to treat cardiac arrhythmias. Research is focused on continuous improvements of the underlying croytechnology and extension into new indications.
- Production: The CoolLoop® cryoablation system consists of a console, a catheter and a sheath. All parts have been designed and extensively tested at AFreeze. The console (a class IIb device) is manufactured at the AFreeze premises in Innsbruck by a team of highly experienced engineers. Medical software development, validation and implementation is also done in-house.
- Sales/Distribution: In the initial marketing phase, AFreeze focuses on selected European centers for ablation of atrial fibrillation. A broader sales and distribution partnership will be sought after the device has been successfully positioned among leading customers.