Austrian Breast & Colorectal Cancer Study Group ABCSG
- Research and education institutions
- Founded in: 1984
- Staff: 62
- Focus: Applied research
- Research area: Medical and health sciences
- Cluster Membership: LISAvienna
- Profile: ABCSG (Austrian Breast & Colorectal Cancer Study Group) is an Austrian organisation that conducts internationally respected clinical trials to investigate breast and colon cancer. Our primary objectives are to standardise diagnosis, therapy and post-treatment of breast and colon cancer throughout Austria, and to provide patients with the latest and best possible treatments. More than 25,000 patients have participated in ABCSG trials since 1984.
- R&D: ABCSG’s area of study initially concentrated on breast cancer, which still presents the main focus of research. Since several years the organisation additionally began to investigate other forms of cancer, e.g. colorectal cancer. Recently ABCSG is also conducting studies on liver metastases and pancreatic cancer. The medical need for such research is very high. Pancreatic cancer is the fourth most common cause of tumour-related fatalities.
- Services: ABCSG sustains an active network of medical centres in Austria with approximately 960 investigators and 190 study nurses, and shares collaborations with academic groups on a worldwide level. Clinical trials are conducted with maximum transparency, and are monitored by ethics commissions and the responsible authorities at every stage. The safety and welfare of participants in our trials is of greater importance than the interests of science.